The world is moving towards increased personalization and interaction in every way. Education needs to follow suit. However, doing this in education, especially in India is challenging.
In schools, the student to teacher ratio averages as 1:40, hence it is difficult for teachers to personalize learning for each student. Therefore, schools typically follow a one size fits all approach – standardizing explanations and assessments for all students. Due to the large class size, teachers typically follow a “show and tell” method to teach concepts. In such classes, students do not actively take part in the learning process. Thus, students leave school with theoretical knowledge gained through rote learning and very little knowledge that they can apply to “out of textbook” context.
The scenario in after-school tuition is slightly different, because the class size is smaller, allowing for more attention from the teacher. However, the core problems remain the same: the teacher demonstrates how to solve sums and makes homework and assessments that are the same for students across all batches. But most tutors do not have the tools or the bandwidth to offer tailored practice to students which they need in order to truly improve their weaker areas.
In the last few years, E-learning apps have tried to fill this gap. These companies disaggregate the problem and attempt to fix parts – one replaces textbooks with videos, another focuses on doubt solving – but none offer the full stack experience for the student, and tracks the student throughout. The onus is on the student to be proactive for their learning, which is hard when most students would rather do anything but study! Furthermore in asynchronous apps, the human interaction between teacher and student and peer-to-peer learning is missing. This connection between student and teacher is critical to success in learning as teachers provide mentorship, coaching, and doubt solving.
What was missing was a solution that focused on giving students both the textbook (aka the content) and a tutor. Great learning outcomes only occur when you are able to control the entire experience.
So that is why we decided to build Lido.
At Lido, we want to make sure that every single student learns from the perfect class, every single time. We do this by building best in class content to match your school curriculum, and delivering it in the most interactive and exciting format in our live classroom (think animated videos, games, live quizzes!). And we do this in a small group format of just six students so that students can ask doubts, get support, and build meaningful relationships with their expert Lido teachers.
Learning on Lido is:
- Holistic, best in class, adaptive learning: We have built the best content, best assessments, best practice problems through deep research. Once a student uses Lido, all the resources they need, and more, are all on the platform: no additional E-learning apps, question banks, practice tests, explanation videos. By tracking individual student learning we are able to customize homework, additional practice, remedial help, and challenges to target where each student needs help the most.
- Live and interactive: The average classroom size in India is 55 students which means that students do not get the personalized attention that they need when it comes to doubt-solving, coaching, and mentoring. Our live classrooms are led by a qualified and well-trained teacher coach and a peer group of a similar achievement level. The max student to teacher ratio is 1:6 which means that students aren’t lost in the classroom left to navigate through the material on their own or be guided by an AI assistant.
- Fun: The ugly truth is that most students hate studying, and why wouldn’t they? They are used to drab textbooks, boring formats, and one-directional learning. Not only does learning on Lido happen through immersive storylines, real-world examples, live quiz contests, but we also have a unique reward system that gamifies the platform so the more you learn, the more you earn!
- Quality assured: High-quality teachers are in short supply in India so traditional models are unable to scale for lack of teachers. At Lido, you can trust that every teacher has been carefully vetted and trained by our rigorous program but more importantly, they have been given the tools they need to deliver a perfect learning experience every single time.
- Affordable: Our goal is to democratize high-quality education: learning should not be limited to the major cities, and to those who can afford it. Through our content, tutors, and platform, we are able to bring best in class learning to every single student in the country at very affordable prices. Our online format makes it convenient to learn anytime, anywhere.
At Lido, we believe that every student is unique and every student has the potential to change the world. Not only do we teach students Math, Science, English, and Coding to succeed at school but we also provide mentorship from world leaders in business, technology and politics, career support, and leadership training. All in the hopes that our students can be the leaders of tomorrow. We believe that no dream is too big for Lido Learners!